Beyoncé; Vogue Magazine's March 2013 Issue



      They called her "Queen B," but I'm not sure they understood why. She's s f*ckin superhero. Beyoncé is a living example of what hard work, dedication and patience can bring you. Not only did she work hard on her career, but her relationship as well, I can imagine. The writer of vogues article, Jason Gay (I can't quite find him on the internet, curiously) writes that getting an interview with Beyoncé is spectacular in it's difficulty. She's a busy woman and he's a busy person as well. "She's on family vacation in the Caribbean; curiously I'm not invited," he writes. You're not family, Jason. 

          I admire Beyoncé most for being a normal person. She has spectacular talent, no doubt, but she doesn't let that affect how she interacts with the world. "Her boots are off, arranged neatly on the floor, still in her bkacj Norma Kamali bodysuit and Helmut Land pants, she asks for a robe. A white robe is presented, and Beyoncé cutely wraps it like a blanket over her shoulders. She resembles a teenager getting ready to curl up and watch a double features. She is 31 years old and about to embark upon perhaps the craziest stretch of her career," Gay continues. He describes everything to you but, curiously, never makes mention of her humanity. Sometimes, the most obvious, minute things are the easiest to look over, yet the most important in the world. 

          "Life is so much more than... It's not defined by any of this," Gay quotes the Queen explaining that she means the money, the fame, the bullsh*t. What I found most curious about the entire article was the lack of mention of God... Beyoncé always talks about God and, if you watched he documentary, you can see how He talks back to her. It's funny how you've got to be afraid not to offend people, so you hide what's most important to you. I wonder if this was the writer's decision to Bey's. I love Beyoncé most for her love of God. As a woman coming into my own, I sometimes find it difficult to maintain with the pressure of being a good person; a good friend, daughter, role model, artist, writer.... woman.  I also find it most difficult to chase my dreams and succeed financially while avoiding putting my body in display with the grotesque options available to me, a woman of color with too much curve for a look book. More so, I find it stressing trying to find a way to be "sexy" while still having respect for myself... how do I attract a man. 

         Beyoncé gives me hope and strengthens my faith.  She's shown me that I need to love everything I do. I need to take care to listen to my heart and put those dots together. I need to have faith. I need to pray. I need to be a strong individual but understand when others can help me --noting when I can do it just as well by myself. Beyoncé is the Queen because she is a leader. We, women who look like me, have never seen it done before. Rarely do the women around us marry before having a child. Rarely can they stay out the public eye without airing their husbands to the media/friends/part-time haters. Beyoncé teaches me a lot. The long and short of it, she is Queen because not only does she call deserve your love, but she earns your respect.

You's a bad b*tch, Bey.


Continue for Vogue's videos & pictures from the March 2013 cover shoot.