#WhatIWore - Holiday Party + Music Showcase 12.14.12


Vintage Louis Vuitton Zip-Up Jacket

      Sometimes, my favorite thing about a hectic life is finding a way to get around to so many different events --with different crowds and expectations-- and still look fabulous. My work holidat party was this passed Friday, as was my first showcase at Paul Robeson Theater. I needed to wear something that could translate to both events, so I went "chic."  My definition of "chic" lies somewhere between "I'm too too good to be here" and "I dressed down just for you." I wanted too look ultra classy because I was going to be sipping champagne with my bosses, but while I'm on stage, I don't like wearing a costume. I wanted to look as normal & natural as possible. My biggest concern with dressing for the stage is that I want people to be impressed by my art, not my outfit. --I'm certainly my toughest opponent.

 I wore a one piece, pants suit I got at Forever21.  I bought it about 4 years ago when I interned for Baltimore's Fashion Week. It's a strapless outfit, but has a one shoulder sleeve that you can either wear on the direct shoulder or cross over. I always try to get pieces that can do more than one thing. That way, the outfit reinvents itself --making it's lifespan a bit longer. The weird/new/striking sleeve also helped me cut down on accessories. Since my top was doing a lot, I didn't have to do much else. When you're really on a rush, choose an outfit that'll do all the work for you.

Keep reading for more photos & details about my outfit :)




Dress by Forever 21 (straps are from my bra -____-)

During the day at work, I threw on a jacket so that the pant's-suit was just pants. I chose a vintage Louis Vuitton zip-up jacket I got at a thrift store in Rhode Island. I love the jacket because it kind of looks like nothing, but has a fantastic shape --I'll take anything with a mandarin collar. The jacket also has fantastic hardware (all the metal sh*t, including buttone, zippers, etc.) featuring the iconic "LV" logo, so I simply couldn't pass it up. My favorite part about the jacket is the zippers on the sleeves. I feel like it adds a another element of design whereas this could have been super boring and plain. Also, there's always a great amount of satisfaction in mastering your high-low balance. If you're wearing something kinda cheap (no matter how cute), be kind and give your outfit a mini-upgrade however you can.

Vintage Louis Vuitton Zip-Up Jacket


Vintage Louis Vuitton Zip-Up Jacket
Vintage Louis Vuitton Zip-Up Jacket, Metal pharaoh & fist bracelets from some random store on 125th in Harlem.

You know I've got a mean shoe game.  If you work in fashion, the number one rule for your holiday is --wear your brand. I wore the Calvin Klein "Vivian" shoe. The open-toed, stappy heel had an amazing shape & makes any foot look good. It's also a small platform with an amazing cushion.  

Calvin Klein Vivian - $129.00 on Belk.com --CLICK TO SHOP NOW